Legal and Tax, Green Real Estate

Energy certificate : Edition and why you need it

The energy certificate or energy performance certificate is a document with specific data on the energy consumption of a property. Essentially, the document classifies the property in one of the energy categories ranging from A+ to H. The higher the rating, the better the property's energy efficiency. The factors are many and have to do with insulation, with the heating and cooling systems, frames etc.

What the certificate is and what it includes

This specific certificate is issued by an engineer/energy inspector and essentially constitutes his energy identity. There are three levels of energy inspectors who can respectively inspect and issue certificates of specific square meters. In most cases, however, when we talk about residences, an energy inspector A can issue the certificate.

This document includes, among other things, information such as the property's annual energy consumption and annual carbon dioxide emissions. Recommendations for improving the energy efficiency of the property are also included, if the owner wishes to go up one or more energy scales for better performance.

When is the energy certificate necessary?

By his law 2008 the necessity and uses of the energy certificate are defined. This certificate is now necessary for all properties, whether residential or commercial, and most commercial premises. At the same time, all new buildings have a certificate.

When real estate purchases and rentals are made, they should be accompanied by a valid energy efficiency certificate. The protocol number of the certificate is indicated in the rental offices every time an electronic entry is made to the tax office. It is also requested by the notaries for the realization of the contracts of sale of the property. Each certificate is valid 10 years and should be renewed after the expiry of this period, since some procedure will follow that will require it. More specifically, the energy certificate is necessary for:

• Real estate sales
• Property rentals
• Improving energy efficiency / energy saving
• Subsidized programs, such as SAVE-AUTOMONO

The energy certificate is also necessary for short-term leases, such as the Airbnb platforms for example, Booking etc. In these cases, the energy certificate is required in order to post the ad online.

How to proceed with the issuance of an energy certificate
The process of issuing a new energy certificate is easy. You should contact an energy inspector and collect the necessary documents for your property. There is no fixed price for the certificate, you can negotiate it.

The inspector will visit your premises and record its features. It will then proceed to the analysis of supporting documents, as well as the measurements he has carried out during his inspection. End, will deliver the certificate to you in as many copies as you wish. You can also use it online without any problems.

The validity of the certificate is 10 years from the date of its issuance. You should note how the certificate is not necessary for small tasks, as is for example painting the house. The process of issuing the energy certificate is very fast and depending on the inspector usually takes one to three working days.

The data required for issuing a new energy efficiency certificate

For the issuance of the certificate it will be necessary:
• the owner's VAT number and DOU,
• the number of the National Land Registry (OK) or the land registry property number,
• the construction permit of the building, since this has been manufactured after the 1983,
• the property contract
• the copy of declaration of arbitrary semi-outdoor space, if you have legalized the entire property or some of its premises,
• the heating boiler maintenance sheet.

When a certificate is not necessary

There are some exceptions, for which the issuance of an energy certificate is not required. More specifically, the energy certificate is not necessary in buildings whose area is less than or equal to 50 sq.m.

Also, the certificate is not necessary for properties used as industries, crafts, laboratories, Gas stations, parking lots and warehouses.

Furthermore, the certificate is not necessary in the cases of living parental benefits, acceptance of inheritance or donation due to death.

Finally, the certificate is also not necessary in cases of transfer of unfinished buildings. Is, however, necessary once the construction of the building is complete.

Copyright: Vasilopoulos Estates